Managing your aviation projects
If your activities require aviation transport, ASF-Belgium is the aviation advisor to assist you in preparing and implementing the project. More generally, if your activities involve aviation in one way or another, ASF will work with you to define the aviation components required for your project and can manage them for you. Because we are all experts in our own field!
Humanitarian aviation, a complex job
Aviation is without doubt one of the most regulated sectors in the world, along with the nuclear and space industries! In addition to increasingly complex regulatory issues to ensure air transport reliability, there are difficulties in operating aircraft in difficult or even hostile environments including security, navigational aid, ground support and extreme weather conditions.
ASF-Belgium will share their know-how with you
ASF-Belgium has thirty years of aviation expertise, humanitarian experience and a developmental approach that has assisted more than sixty aid and development organisations. We are also experts in project cycle management for the humanitarian management of air transport. ASF-Belgium is:
- An effective tool for the humanitarian sector, a professional service provider.
- An organisation capable of maintaining a humanitarian and development approach.
- A flexible structure, not steadfast, but instead capable of adaptation and evolution.
- An organisation that earns the trust and respect of stakeholders (funders, NGOs).
- An organisation that remains in sync with reality, avoiding virtual traps (communications).
- An organisation that delivers technical solutions to humanitarian project goals.
- An organisation that goes off the beaten track, showing innovation and creativity.
- An organisation that stands out in specialised sectors, highlights its USP, contributes real added value, and develops concepts in the humanitarian and development sectors.
ASF has therefore developed and adapted unique and innovative products such as participatory humanitarian management of local air transport or oblique aerial photography for local monitoring, both of which have received good feedback.
Ability to mobilise appropriate aviation assets
With regard to air transport, ASF-Belgium has the ability to assist you in identifying needs, quantifying air transport needs, selecting the most appropriate type of aircraft for the mission, sub-contracting aircraft (including contractual matters) and maintenance, management of flight logs, and monitoring of air operations.
Definition of aviation components in a project
Your projects may require aerial work, such as aerial reconnaissance of environmental issues related to refugee sites or biodiversity management. Or, you may need to perform a Light Detection And Ranging (LiDAR) survey and may need to obtain a specific permit for the country in question. Based on our Terms of Service, ASF-Belgium will work with you to find an effective solution.
In 2006, the WWF Regional Office for Madagascar and Western Indian Ocean Islands called on ASF-Belgium to assist WWF and ANGAP (National Association for the Management of Protected Areas) to showcase the use of a microlight in aerial surveillance of national parks and protected areas in Southern Madagascar. Given that a microlight was considered by all to be without a doubt the most appropriate form of technology in terms of sustainable development, ASF-Belgium developed a unique and innovative oblique aerial photography methodology based on use of small aircraft. This quadrupled the cost-effectiveness ratio of the project’s aerial surveillance component while also ensuring future transferability given that the methodology uses local professional air operators.
See also: “Our Actions” page, oblique aerial photography in Madagascar.